"In all of living, have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured." President Gordon B. Hinckley

"If you are still in the process of raising children, be aware that the tiny fingerprints that show up on almost every newly cleaned surface, the toys scattered about the house, the piles and piles of laundry to be tackled will disappear all too soon and that you will--to your surprise--miss them profoundly." President Thomas S. Monson

Friday, July 14, 2006

Generations

Yesterday I was able to take the girls to visit Grandpa Boyd. It was quite the feat to get us all up to the third floor of Old Farm condos plus dozens of photo albums that I needed to return. It went better than expected. I was able to strap Kate on and hold Kiara's hand as she climbed, very slowly. One thing that motherhood has taught me is that it is okay if things take longer. My strides have shortened and my eyes have opened to things that might be new to Kiara. Ants are absolutely fascinating to her! As we climbed the steps to Grandpa's abode, I felt quietly thankful for the chance I have to visit him and wondered how many more times I would have this opportunity. Having lost a grandmother and Dereck's grandfather this year, I am learning not to take people for granted.

I truly believe that America is saying goodbye to its greatest generation. I don't comprehend sacrifice and deprivation like my grandparents' generation. I have not lived through the Depression or a great World War. I have never wanted for food, shelter, or clothing. Sometimes I believe this is my curse.

As I watched Kiara sit on the couch next to her Great-Grandpa Boyd while he flipped through old photographs with her, I took a picture in my mind that will hopefully never be erased. Posted by Picasa

0 comments: