I woke up on Sunday morning, April 29, to a cool spring breeze blowing through the blinds and the sound of happy children. I was 39 weeks and 2 days pregnant and feeling pretty miserable. I sat up a lot through the night because of heartburn and allergies. I asked my sweet husband for a blessing and then started to get ready for church. I started to notice that the contractions I had been feeling for months were now coming regularly and often, about every 5 minutes. I started tidying my bedroom and adding last minute things to my bag to take to the hospital when I looked out the window and saw a mother bird with a big piece of straw in her beak. She was coming in and out of a crack near the roof of the shed behind our house. I thought about how we were both building our nests, preparing for our offspring.
After talking to my doula, Claire, Dereck and I decided to stop by her home so she could see if things were progressing. She said that I was dilated to a 4, but my baby still needed to descend and she suggested that Dereck and I go on a walk. Knowing that my children were in good hands with their Aunt Nonny and Uncle Lui, Dereck and I decided to go for a long walk as she had suggested.
We sat on the hillside of Popperton Park in the Avenues overlooking the city and had a picnic dinner, not knowing when we would be able to eat our next meal. Then we hiked the foothills just north of University Hospital for about two hours. I enjoyed this time with Dereck so much. I felt like I was at the right place with the right person by my side. The contractions were coming more often, but they were not too uncomfortable. By about 7:00 p.m., the sun was starting to set and the air was cooling and Dereck and I felt exhausted. We went into the hospital to use the restroom, but decided not to go up to Labor and Delivery. I figured they would want to admit me and I wanted to be home as much as I could. I had decided in January that I wanted this birth to be different than my others. I didn't want to be induced and I didn't want the epidural or any pain killers. Natural childbirth was something I wanted to experience.
Dereck and I went home and my mom was kind enough to spend the night at our house so that we could go to University Hospital at any time during the night. I had a warm bath and we went to bed. Around 3:00 a.m. I let Dereck know that the contractions were getting stronger and lower and it was time to go the hospital. When we arrived at the hospital I was dilated to a 6 and we got situated in our Labor and Delivery room. I can now attest to the power of endorphins and hypnobirthing (the relaxation method we learned in our childbirth classes). I did not receive any drugs, but I really felt drugged. One of my friends described it as an out of body experience and my sister called it Labor Land. It felt surreal to me.

![]() |
| Jackson is bombarded by sisterly love!!! |


1 comments:
I LOVE the story that last picture tells! from the doll and shoes on the bed, the look of admiration in Kiara's face, your look of triumph, Dereck's proud stance, Ava's curiosity ... all of it. Beautiful, wonderful and should be framed :)
Post a Comment