Tonight we went to the Chik-Fil-A Kids Night, where all the splendor of fast food dining is laid before you in child friendly fashion complete with helium balloons, free kids meals and ice cream, cheerios while you wait, and yes, even face painting. Face painting is not a parent's choice of activities. Your child is so excited to be transformed into some creature that you then have to come home and scrub off as your child cries because their disguise is being washed down the drain. As we drove home tonight I was contemplating how I would break the news to them that although, yes, they look splendid as a kitty and a poodle, you can't sleep with that stuff on!
I was happily surprised, however, when I told Kiara to go wash her face while I put Ava to bed, and she was actually excited to wash her face. After laying Ava in her crib, I went into the bathroom to examine if I could tell Kiara, "Well done" on her face washing and she was just staring contentedly in the mirror at her newly cleaned face. She said, "I wanted to wash my face, Mom, because I would rather be me." I told her, "You are a beautiful girl. Do you know that?" She said, "I don't want to be beautiful. Barbies are beautiful and I hate Barbies!"
I came away from the exchange feeling happy that my daughter would rather be herself than a kitty or a floozie Barbie. There is no one else I would rather have my daughters be than themselves because I love them just the way they came!
1 comments:
So cute. Miranda hates Barbies as weill - although she loves the Barbie movies...
Post a Comment