"In all of living, have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured." President Gordon B. Hinckley

"If you are still in the process of raising children, be aware that the tiny fingerprints that show up on almost every newly cleaned surface, the toys scattered about the house, the piles and piles of laundry to be tackled will disappear all too soon and that you will--to your surprise--miss them profoundly." President Thomas S. Monson

Monday, July 14, 2008

Why We Blog

Blogging seems to be the thing to do these days. I started my blog right after Kate was born (about 2 years ago). I felt a need to share my life with my sister who lives in California and I wanted to know more about her life. So I first started a blog called Three Sisters so Jessie, Alicia, and I could keep in touch. It turned out that Jessie never got on the internet or checked her email, but I continued to blog because it gave me an outlet and a way to chronicle my family's life. 


Life as a stay at home mother is very private. I can't hardly tell Dereck what I did all day because it can all seem very meaningless (I washed three loads of sheets and made beds, I scraped blueberry yogurt off of the kitchen curtains, etc.). But when I sit down to write, it doesn't seem so meaningless. I read an intriguing article in Wonder Times by Catherine Newman called "Confessions of a Mommy Blogger". I liked how she put it into words:

"You are not alone. If there's a single fact to take from the 70 million blogs that inhabit the Internet, it's this: Whoever you are — however thrilled or frantic, bored or despairing, buoyant or afflicted with love like an aching in your bones — someone out there understands. Especially if you're a mother. Someone out there is still awake with a restless toddler. Someone out there has swigged the last of the cooking sherry [or eaten the last of the chocolate chips], or dotted a nursing newborn with Doritos fallout. And someone is writing about it." You can read the whole article here

0 comments: